Friday, November 5, 2021

Too Soon Oldt And Too Late Schmart

 


            One of the dumbest things I ever did was to try to flush a disposable diaper down the toilet. Hey, it was the sixties, and disposable diapers had just come on the market.

            Of course the toilet overflowed. And of course I knew not how to stop the rising water in the toilet bowl, which ruined the paint on the kitchen ceiling below. Fortunately, Mrs. Heckert was an understanding landlady.

            Now you may wonder how I could have done something so stupid. Well, I simply did not know. And there’s a lot more I don’t know . . . about God and the world and life in general.

            For instance, I don’t know what happens when I ask my phone a question and a woman immediately answers. Where is this woman? How does she look up the answer so fast?

I don’t know how email messages fly around the world in seconds. I don’t know how hummingbirds fly thousands of miles flapping their little wings. Do they ever get tired? I don’t know how sheep know the voice of their shepherd. I don’t know how COVID began.

            But there are some things I do know, and with that knowledge, I live my life.

            --I know God gives me friends to support me on my journey, and I appreciate them.

--I know that God helps people survive all kinds of challenges. They suffer. But God is faithful to them. And He will be faithful to me.

            --I know Jesus heals our hurts, and we pass on His comfort to others.

--I know that when discouraged I can to look back to see where God has been faithful in the past. That helps me trust Him in the present.

            --I know God created the world and everything in it—including me. “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1 NLT). Look up at the stars on a clear night. Consider the way a human body works. How could things so complex happen without a Creator?

-- I know Christ came to live and die to fulfill the demands of a perfect God to sacrifice a perfect life. Only when we accept Christ’s holiness are we fit enough for heaven.

--I know God numbered our days. The death rate is 100 percent. So I want my life to be well lived—and ready for heaven.

So, like that Pennsylvania Dutch saying in the title (we get old too soon and smart too late), I do my best to live my life in tune with Jesus as my Savior, seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit and knowing our Triune God is on His throne. And I trust Him. Even when I do dumb things.


No comments: