Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The "If Onlys" of Life


Today would be the 45th birthday of our daughter, Christy Marie. Her birth and her death a few hours later greatly impacted my life as I sought to better know the God Who permitted this tragedy. Each year we put daffodils on her grave on her birthday. May this devotional thought offer hope to you during this time of unexpected circumstances. You will survive.

Guilt Trip to Avoid: I am at fault.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6

It’s My Fault by Shirley

When I became pregnant, our young sons were excited at the prospect of a baby sister or brother. But I soon experienced early contractions and had to be confined to bed and later hospitalized. Five weeks before my due date the doctor sent me home, saying that even if I delivered, the baby would be fine. He was wrong.

            Christy Marie was born early on an April Fools Day morning, but I felt God had surely played a cruel April Fools Day joke on us. Her lungs were not fully developed, and she soon found heaven’s air easier to breathe. We were devastated, and I felt guilty. If only I had not sat up when company came. If only I had prayed more. If only . . . .

            Life is full of “if only’s,” but events cannot be undone. We must accept that our Sovereign God permits deaths and tragedies. It may take years to work through grief, but the good news is that we can trust God’s grace to use difficult experiences to conform us to his Image.

            Take the Joy Ride: Solomon showed his wisdom when he penned verses about trusting God. That is truly the secret to a happy life. We will never have all the answers, but we can trust the one who does and accept what we cannot change. Write out any “if onlys” you have and tuck them away. In a year, read them to see how God has used the struggles of your life to grow you as a Christian.


#Turning Guilt Trips into Joy Rides

No comments: