Tuesday, June 27, 2017

5 Steps to Prevent Tumbles--in Life



Last summer my husband, Bill, took a tumble down our backyard steps that left him with significant injuries. This spring he again stumbled but managed to stay upright. I’ve never felt secure on those steps, so I suggested we build a railing. Of course, by “we,” I meant “he.” And so he did.

How different I now feel when I walk up and down those stairs. With my hand sliding along the railing, I feel safe and secure. Why did it take us so long to find this easy solution to a challenging problem?

We need railings in life too. Oh, we may feel free as a bird sailing through life without restraints, doing what we feel like doing, making our own rules. But rules are blessings in disguise. We need them to live a fruitful, joyful life. And the best rules to live by are those found in God’s Word.

For instance, a young man who heeds the words of Solomon, writer of Proverbs, will spare himself much grief by leading a moral life. He has no worries about STD’s; he avoids imprisonment; he enjoys the fruit of honest labor. And the list goes on.

The “rules” of God’s Word are designed to build relationships—with God and with others.

Here’s why I appreciate God’s Word:

1. God’s Word keeps me from sin. I need not debate right and wrong. Should I steal or not? Should I gossip or not? By obeying just the basic ten commandments, I am blessed. “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:11)

2. God’s Word enriches my life. As I choose the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control) over the “acts of the flesh,” (sexual immorality, impurity, idolatry, hatred, discord, jealousy, etc.), I build stronger relationships. (Galatians 5:19-23)

3. God’s Word assures me of eternal life. His Word tells me God is perfect and no imperfection may come into His Presence. That’s bad news, because I am far from perfect. But the good news is that Christ took the punishment I deserve, and now God sees me as Perfect as Christ. “Whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed from death to life.” (John 5:24)

4. God’s Word counsels me. God’s principles always challenge me to take the high road rather than seek revenge. We’ve all been offended by those nearest and dearest. But such experiences simply offer opportunities to extend the grace we receive from God to others, and relationships are strengthened rather than shattered. “He gives us more grace.” (James 4:6)

5. God’s Word guards my thought life. This is why I memorize lengthy passages. When I’m worried and I can’t sleep, I run scripture through my mind. God may use a verse I’ve never before noticed to shed light on a problem or offer strength for the journey. “I remembered my songs in the night. My heart meditated . . . . ” (Psalm 77:6)

Have you discovered the blessing of steeping in God’s Word, like a tea bag steeps in tea? I assure you, like the railing of our backyard steps, God’s Word protects, guides and secures our lives. My favorite verse is “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

What’s your favorite verse? Click on the link below and share.

Have a blessed month—in God’s Word.

Shirley



1 comment:

Lanita said...

Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4