Friday, April 15, 2016

Book Review: Living Forward


Think about what you want your life to look like ten years from now. Then think about your life now. Will your current lifestyle lead you to that future life you envision? Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want By Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy helps you develop a plan to make that vision a reality.

The authors start by having you think about your ending. What do you want people to say at your funeral? Then they guide you through steps to prioritize the “accounts” (marriage, family, career, etc.) of your life and make a commitment in each that will enable you to attain your dreams.

I found this book very understandable and helpful. The authors suggest that you read Parts 1 and 2 of the book, which explain the process, then take a day to work up your personal life plan in Part 3. I missed that suggestion and worked out my plan chapter-by-chapter. But I really enjoyed thinking through the various facets of my life and prioritizing them. I discovered that at my age and my stage, I need to shift my emphasis a bit to develop the future I hope for.

The authors suggest weekly reviews to keep your commitments in mind along with quarterly tweaking and  annual revisions in case your priorities change. I appreciated the “Life Planner’s Quick Guide” at the back of the book along with “Life Plan Examples” to give a person ideas. You can also go online to print out a guide so that you just need to fill in the blanks.

This is an excellent book no matter your age or stage of life. If you’re younger, you will do well to consider where your current lifestyle will lead. And the older you are, the more important it becomes to consider what you still want to accomplish. I got my book at the library, but it would be well worth the $21.99 retail price set by Baker Books. A necessary book for anyone serious about making their life count.



No comments: