Monday, February 1, 2016

Seven Reasons to Read

From My Attic

In 2015 I read 29 books. That’s taking in a lot of print. I learned a lot, BUT I don’t remember half of what I read. I look at some titles and can’t even remember the plot. So why do I read?

Reading enlarges my view of the world. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee took me south to a time of racism and injustice. I read this in preparation of reading the author’s second book, Go Set a Watchman. Did not enjoy the second book as much. Wonder by R. J. Palasio helped me understand the world of those with disabilities in a most engaging way.

Reading offers new ideas. Because I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo, I now roll my knee socks and place turtlenecks in a drawer on their side. This way I can see at a glance every color instead of digging through stacks of sweaters or socks. The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson expanded my idea of prayer. The Hour That Changes the World by Dick Eastman changed the structure of my prayer life.

Reading sharpens your mind. You’ve always thought one way; perhaps there’s another perspective. In It’s Not What You Think, Jeffrey Belke offers a biblical perspective, taking into consideration biblical times rather than how we think in this time and culture. Interesting.

Reading informs and educates. Although it’s a novel, The Orphan Train exposes a little known time in American history when trains carried children west to adoptive families. In Losing Our Way: An Intimate Portrait of Troubled America, Bob Herbert offers political analysis of how we’ve come to the current state of affairs in our nation. Heretic by Ayaan Hirsi Ali helped me understand how ISIS and other terrorist organizations relate and share the same horrific goals.

Reading encourages and motivates. Last year I reread one of my all-time favorites: No Graven Image by Elisabeth Elliot. It’s fiction, but when I get discouraged because I fail to achieve something in spite of giving it my all, I remember this story and gain hope. When God Doesn’t Fix tells the life story of Laura Story, writer of the song “Blessings.” This book offers great insight to those of us who struggle with the complexities and seeming unfairness of life.

Reading builds perseverance. I did not especially enjoy Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe. But I was determined to finish it. J

Reading is fun. I love getting lost in a novel such as The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I love losing myself in a good mystery. I love books I can’t put down. Just started reading The Copper Scroll by Joel Rosenberg, and it’s a real page turner. This is fourth in a series, and I will definitely check out the others.

One book that does all of the above is the Bible. I have been reading through it annually for many many years and plan to do so once again this year because there is always more to learn and understand. Plus I need the daily encouragement and strength God offers through its pages. Just Google a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year plan if you need one. Never too late to get started, and I guarantee you’ll be blessed.

I would love to hear your recommendations about books to read in 2016. If you receive this by email, just go to the bottom of the page and click on the link to my blog to comment.

See you at the library.

Shirley

Upcoming Engagements:

March 18-20 – Friends of the Heart Women’s Retreat with Chapel Church of Red Lion at Camp Hebron in Halifax. The retreat is open to all women. Message me if you would like a link for more information and registration. The theme is: “If Our Closets Could Talk.” Lots of fun and inspiration!



2 comments:

GiGi said...

Here are a few of the books I read in 2015 and some picks for 2016.

"Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes" by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien
"Countdown to the Apocalypse, Why ISIS and Ebola are Only the Beginning" by Robert Jeffress
"Audacious" by Beth Moore
"It's Good to Be Queen" by Liz Curtis Higgs
"Preemptive Love, Pursuing Peace One Heart at a Time" by Jeremy Courtney (by far my favorite) They have a website PreemptiveLove.org to find out about their mission to save the lives of children born with heart defectives in the Middle East
And agree with you - the Bible! Learn something new every time I read it through. Using a Chronological Bible and really loving it.

Right now I am reading "Down to Earth Discipling, Essential Principles to Guide your Personal Ministry" by Scott Morton, Excellent book on real basic steps on how to witness and disciple new believers.

On my list to read this year is "Girl in the Song" by Chrissy Cymbala Toledo daughter of Pastor Cymbala of Brooklyn Tabernacle - her story of growing up during the time when he had just started to pastor that church and her journey with God.

Shirley Brosius said...

Great suggestions! I will hang onto them. Like the variety too. :)