Sunday, June 21, 2015

Book Review: Wonder

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

If you love story, you’ll enjoy this novel written from the perspective of a boy with a major facial deformity. The book opens with August facing fifth grade, his first year of public school after being homeschooled. Of course the thought of facing the scrutiny of peers throws him into a panic, and he digs in his heels. A thoughtful principal asks a few classmates to support August in the venture, and before you know it, you’ve entered Auggie’s world. You view it not only through his eyes, but also through the eyes of his big sister and his classmates, who line up for and ag’in him. It’s funny. It’s sad. It’s touching. And it’s real. You gather what Auggie looks like from the reactions of others. Of course there are all the complexities of relationships and middle school shenanigans that go with them.

Wonder is a #1 New York Times bestseller. I enjoyed the book because, even though it’s fiction, you gain the perspective of those who suffer abnormalities, and we all benefit from such insight. I can’t say much more without giving away too much of the story. But it’s an easy read, a fun read and a read that will help you look at those different from you with fresh eyes.




1 comment:

K. Weber said...

Hi, Shirley,
I wanted to thank you for your review of the book Wonder. Thanks to you, I checked it out and read it, when otherwise I probably wouldn't even have seen it, and certainly I would not have known to check it out if I had seen it on the library shelf. Wow, what a wonderful book! Had me in tears! I love books written by authors who truly understand young people and write from their perspective. As the book showed, we can't judge a person by his appearance.