Friday, May 1, 2015

Three Reasons Rainy Days Pick Me Up

Cherry Blossom Trees Bloom by the Millersburg High School
It’s been a cold, rainy April, and May isn’t dancing in like Mary Sunshine either. I’m still wearing a turtleneck here in Pennsylvania. But for the first time I can remember, the cherry blossoms are perfect for our town’s Cherry Blossom Festival, which is always held on the first Saturday of May. Usually, the gorgeous pink blooms have dropped by this date.

As a child, I loved rainy days. When I was in fifth grade I had a navy-blue dress with white saddle stitching around big front pockets that I wore when it rained. In my mind, the dress matched the weather. Then there was the porch roof outside my bedroom window. I loved the beat of raindrops on that roof. And beside the house stood a tall cedar tree that, when it rained, dropped orange blossoms onto that roof. I loved the rain.

As an adult, though, not so much. We had a rainy trip to one of our speaking engagements in April. That always slows things down a bit. I also face rain in my life: a brother suffering from Parkinson’s disease, a husband facing a cochlear implant, a friend whose mother-in-law passed away. I would like to avoid such situations.

But when I look back over my life, I must admit that as surely as April showers bring May cherry blossoms, God has used the rain in my life to grow me. Funerals remind me that I too will soon meet my Maker. Challenges of any kind remind me to look to God Who God walks with me through them (Hebrews 13:5). He provides strength for the day.

Challenges:

1. Develop my spiritual life. We deepen our relationship with God as we read His Word and pray.
2. Develop my patience and perseverance. We grow stronger as we wait for answers and discover that just maybe, we may be part of those answers.
3. Develop my empathy and sympathy for others. We learn to see things from others’ perspectives as we experience adverse circumstances ourselves.

Rainy days are not so bad after all. It all depends if you carry an umbrella, and our umbrella is God and the promises of his Word. Be sure to read it today. There’s sunshine behind those clouds— behind those words.

Shirley

Upcoming Engagements:
May 2, 12 Noon – Calvary Independent Church, Lykens, “That Face in the Mirror: Who Do You See?”
May 5, 6:30 p.m. – Ono UM Church, “That Face in the Mirror: Who Do You See?”
May 7, 6 p.m. – Grace UM Church, Millersburg, “If the Shoe Fits . . . “
May 9, 11 a.m. – Hebron UM Church, Millersburg, “If the Shoe Fits . . . “
May 30, 6:30 p.m. – Thompsontown UM Church, “If the Shoe Fits . . . “


No comments: