Friday, June 7, 2013

Do You Believe What You Say?

If someone asked if I were a Christian, I would certainly say “Yes.” But do my beliefs as a Christian inform my everyday actions?

I believe I need to exercise in order to stay healthy, so most days I exercise. I believe the chairs in my home will hold me, so I plop into them at will. I could go on and on.

But as Christians, do our beliefs inform our everyday actions in the same way our other beliefs do? A man recently called me to complain about a lack of  Sunday afternoon worship leaders at a local nursing home. Sometimes the nursing home staff itself has to put together a devotional program. The man who called me was quite upset. Is it too much, he asked, to expect local pastors to take turns coming in to speak to residents? He wondered what I might do about it.

I am not a pastor, but I do organize a team from our church to lead worship at this facility four times a year, and I can tell you it’s not always easy. People are busy. Sunday afternoons mean family time, relaxation after a long workweek. When volunteers are sought, we tend to think someone else will do it, so I often have to seek after people to speak, sing, etc. But if we believe that nursing home residents deserve a chance to worship, then we who are Christians need to provide that opportunity. Our beliefs lead to action.

If we believe the Bible means what it says, then we practice forgiveness, extend grace, avoid gossip. If we believe Jesus died for us, then we live for him. If we believe . . . .

You get the picture. Last evening I began a Bible study titled “Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl.” Its focus is putting your faith into action. What do you believe? And how does it influence your actions--today? And if you have any ideas on how to get more people to minister at nursing homes, please comment. I’m still mulling over my caller’s question.

No comments: