Wednesday, March 6, 2013

There's a Time to Redecorate


A faded living room carpet started all this. If I buy new carpeting, I certainly won’t replace it with the same mauve color, especially after the carpet man told me that shade is the most apt to fade. So I must also change the window treatments, which were so faded a friend thought they were beige instead of pink.

That’s how it started. Here’s how it’s unfolding. Since I’m redoing the living room, I need to redo the dining room, which shares the same carpet and window treatments. And the stairs too--that lead upstairs to my office, with its 35-year-old yellow carpeting. So while the carpet men are here, let’s go the whole nine yards.

This morning my wonderful husband dragged three large bookcases from my office to an attic area to get them out of the way. And his work continues as he ponders how to move a large desk, two file cabinets, a printer stand and my computer itself, the latter, fortunately, on a rolling cart. What a project! But it will be worth it all when we stand back and say “Ahhhh” a few weeks (or months) from now.

While I’m at it, maybe I should also check to see whether my life needs a remodeling job. Is my devotional time fresh and interesting or as faded as my living room carpeting? Does my Bible reading and prayer motivate me to grow deeper in my faith? How are my relationships? If I were to set aside a day to rendezvous with God, what would I want to talk about?

First of all, I would look back. Am I dragging behind me feelings of anger, guilt or resentment? Am I harboring bitterness left over from past experiences? Are there sins I need to confess? Just like my faded carpeting, such things need to go.

Then I would look around. What is my age, my stage of life? What do I like about it? What would I like to change? My eating habits? The use of my time? My devotional habits? In A Guide to Prayer For All Who Seek God William Paulsen is quoted as saying “It is unlikely that we will deepen our relationship with God in a casual or haphazard manner. There will be a need for some intentional commitment and some reorganization in our own lives.” That is so true about every aspect of life; we must become intentional and plan to exact change.

Finally, I would look ahead. What would I like to see a year from now? Five years from now? Ten years from now? What must I do to insure that will happen? Join a gym? A Bible study group? Learn a skill?

Recently I discovered a set of college courses called “The Great Courses.” I am thoroughly enjoying learning more about writing, public speaking, nutrition and how the brain works. The professors are top notch. All courses are discounted over the course of a year. So visit their website: www.thegreatcourses.com and see if any appeal to your need for self-improvement.

Well, I’ve given myself a lot to think about. So until next month . . . enjoy the journey. And step out in faith. If you receive this by e-mail, visit www.shirleybrosius.blogspot.com to share what you’re going to do. Let’s hold each other accountable.

5 comments:

GiGi said...

I too am looking at my current life - what am I leaving as a legacy for my children, grandchildren? My son-in-law thought it would be a great idea if (his wife) my daughter, their oldest daughter and I take an online Physics course together. You know 3 generations of learners. The course is offered by one of the Professors my daughter had at Univ of VA so at least she had an idea what we would be getting into. The course started this week and I must say I was not all that excited about it because Physics is one of my least favorite subjects probably because I just do not "get it". However, I really like the professor and he actually makes sense - I took my first quiz and got 9/10 which I celebrated. Will I retain the knowledge, I hope so, but I will have to revisit it frequently. I also decided to take on Ann Voskamp's challenge to memorize Romans Chapters 1, 6, and 12 for this year. It is slow going but I am enjoying it. I took on two new Bible studies with some girl friends and our ladies SS class by Chip Ingram - the one is a focus on Romans 12 so it is fitting I memorize that chapter first - however I am trying to do it in tandem with chapter 1. His other study is called "Culture Shock" dealing with what God's Word says about Sexuality, Homosexuality, Abortion, Finances and basically both studies deal with how we as a culture have fallen so far from God's best for our lives. I have also set a goal for eating healthy and shedding some pounds before we take the family to Disney the end of April. I am enjoying all aspects of this "new" learning and will also look into of "The Great Courses" I receive that flyer every year and just 'think' about it - I will do one of their courses next especially since you have encouraged the consideration of it in your blog. I recently read that we should write ourselves a letter about our goals- how we want to grow and in what areas of our lives we want to see change - and then give it to a friend to mail to us 3 months from now. Not a bad idea...

Blessings
Kathy

Anonymous said...

So true about how a little change in a home's decor leads to bigger and bigger improvements. A similar event happened in my home when I bought new throw pillows for the sofa. This led to new paint for the walls, etc. Fun article to read-thank you Shirley.

Shirley Brosius said...

Kathy, I love your idea of taking a course together. That would be the coolest thing. And thanks for mentioning the Bible studies you're doing. I'm always looking for good studies to schedule for Sunday school. Scripture memorization of lengthy portions is one of the great blessings of my life. I know you'll enjoy it as well. And what a neat idea to not only set goals but plan to review them. Great ideas!

I cannot believe how this decorating has mushroomed. Everything that we were able to move has been dragged from the rooms, and I hope to do a thorough evaluation before it comes back--especially in my office, which was stuffed to the gills.

Lanita Bradley Boyd said...

Shirley,
Oh, how I can relate to your mushrooming redecorating! That happens to me every time I think I'll change one little thing.
Right now my living room and dining room are disaster because all the guest room furniture has been moved out and into those rooms. Removing three layers of wallpaper, tightly bound, has the walls now ready for repair and paint.
I love your analogy to our lives, for I do so need to redecorate there, as well. I fear I study for a class or a talk and otherwise I just read through my chronological Bible and hope for small epiphanies along the way. We're starting a study of Galatians soon, so I must immerse myself in its wisdom.

Shirley Brosius said...

We are soul sisters, Lanita. I definitely relate to the way you put your spiritual journey too. :)