Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Book Review: Live 10 Healthy Years Longer


By Jan W. Kuzma and Cecil Murphey

I bought this book because I needed motivation to do better at healthful eating, exercising and maintaining my aging body. I was not disappointed. As a result of my reading, I have posted on my refrigerator “Seven Rules to Live By.” And I intend to.


One interesting thing I learned is that when you snack an hour or two after a meal, it is as though your body has to start over digesting and it gets no rest for many more hours. That explains why when I snack evenings, I wake up feeling tired. My stomach has been working all night. Now that I know the reason for that, I have stronger motivation to cut out evening snacks. The authors share not only facts, but the “whys” behind them.

I learned small changes make a big difference. For instance, if you drink water between meals, you feel full most of the time and are less likely to even think of snacking. Makes sense. Written from a Christian perspective, the book includes an appendix on fasting and another on biblical verses to support the book’s principles, which are based on a Loma Linda University study that enlisted 27,514 people.

With chapters such as: Down With Fat And Cholesterol, Avoiding The Five Worst Diseases, Mobilizing Defenses, Lose Weight Forever Without Dieting And Freebies For Your Health, the book addresses a wide range of topics. If you want practical suggestions on how to gain control of your health, this is the book for you. Nice lists and boxed information make it readable and memorable.

And in case you’re wondering about my personalized rules—here they are. Keep in mind these are written to address my particular situation. Yours may differ. But if you decide to adapt them, let me know. We can hold each other accountable.

My Seven Rules to Live By

  1. Fill plate with appropriate portions; no seconds.
  2. Drink lots of water (a glass upon rising, mid-mornings, mid-afternoons, and maybe evenings)
  3. No evening snacks.
  4. No caffeine (except an occasional piece of chocolate)
  5. Exercise at least 5 times weekly.
  6. No naps.
  7. Five minutes of sun daily.

No comments: